Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Join the Dark Side: Star Wars Nail Art

Hello Readers!



Today I have a just-for-fun post of some nails that made my husband very happy. We are a little bit of a Star Wars nerd family, but he's way more into it than I am. The kids, not so much unfortunately, but I think they're still too young. They get excited to see the characters, but the movies are a bit over their heads still.











These nails, though- I just really like how they turned out. I think I always really like this type of pattern- matching side nails, glitter middle, focal point ring finger. I think the last time I used this loose design was with some spring-themed daffodil nails, and  I liked them a lot, too.



So for my polishes, I of course had to use some black for Darth Vader. I decided to go with some specialty blacks instead of flat black. I painted my ring with two coats of "Snow Me White," and the rest with two coats of "Konstellation".

Next, I used the old "liquid latex and sponging technique" to apply a heavy layer of the OPI "Comet in the Sky" polish. This is one of the polishes that has been at my Dollar Tree since Christmas and nobody seems to want it. I've had it as long, and truth be told I don't use it that much but I'm glad I had it today because I love how it looks saturated on the nail.


Which brings us to... the stamping plate. This plate is one I found on Aliexpress for a buck or so, and the plate number is SP-024. There's another Star Wars plate for the same price with slightly different images on it as well.

So, there are no full nail images on this plate. To get the look on my pointer/pinky fingers, I had to stamp the symbol individually using the clear stamper. This image has thin lines, making it prone to disaster by the lines falling where you don't want them to, especially when stamping off the nail on the edges. I found that rolling the stamper away from the nail, allowing the image to bond with the skin on my finger, helped keep the stamping polish from folding and ruining the design. I did have it fold onto the nail a couple of times, but I was able to remove just that bit with some acetone and a clean-up brush instead of having to re-do the whole nail.

Darth Vader was easy to stamp, of course- just one and done.

10 comments:

  1. You have amazing patience. These look really cool. My stepson would be over the moon.😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ha ha I guess it comes from all the reverse stamping- there was none of that on this mani, so I started the stamping with a full patience bar to work with.

      Delete
  2. You did an amazing job. I loved your pinky and index nails :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It may have taken a little extra time, but I feel like it was totally worth it in the end. I actually am still wearing this mani today, which is a long time for me!

      Delete
  3. Haha this mani is very fun. My bf is a massive Star Wars fan, me not so much! I once did a mani for May the 4th and I think that'll be my one and only time, much to his dismay.
    Vicky x
    @thepolishlist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, he had his happiness with the one time! Actually, my DH didn't appreciate this as much as I'd hoped. He was like, "Oh, cool!" and then was done. But I sure have been having fun wearing it! I get a kick out of Darth Vader fingernails.

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness, when I saw the plate and realized you stamped all of those "hexagons" individually my jaw dropped! They look amazing! I love how this turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was really scared for a minute when I thought I would have to start over because I messed it up, but luckily the clean up brush saved the day!

      Delete