Tuesday, January 24, 2017

30 Days of Color Challenge: Channeling Rarity

Hello Readers!

Today marks the start of a new week, so a new prompt in the 30 Days of Color Challenge! This week's prompt is "jewels". Now, I guess this can be interpreted a few different ways, and I like that. I thought of using those little nail rhinestones for this prompt, of going with jewel tones, or of using jewels as a theme. Since I like to do themey, quirky manis I decided to go with jewels as a theme and eventually decided to theme the mani around one of the My Little Ponies, Rarity.


For those not familiar with the show, Rarity is a pony who loves her shiny things, especially gems and jewels! I went off of her color scheme and tried to play up the sparkles a little bit. Here's a picture of the pony herself for reference:




So for this mani, I wanted a kind of pearlescent white look, and I don't have a pure pearlesecent white polish. 


Also, I really wanted to see what the new Sinful Colors "Dripping in Pearls" polish looked like over white. So I put on two coats of Snow Me White and one coat of Dripping in Pearls. The nice thing about this polish is that although it is a bit sheer, it goes on really evenly so this worked out really well. 

I have the LA Colors "Treasure Chest" on my pointer/pinky fingers. This is a Dollar Tree polish and is probably my favorite Dollar Tree polish. $1 textured awesomeness. 


My favorite part of this mani, however, is the diamond on my ring finger. The stamping image comes from this MoYou London Geek collection plate, which seems to often come in handy. I used a nice opaque stamping polish and then I used a toothpick to painstakingly place holographic hex glitters all over the back of it. It took some time, but it was totally worth it for the way this baby shines. 


For Rarity, I used this Mundo De Unas plate, which despite having a few good images I'm kind of "meh" about to be honest. The etching is slightly on the shallow side, so it did take several tries to get Rarity to stamp decently. These plates don't come with a protective clear film on them, so you can see it arrived to me slightly beat up. But most of all, I'm just not all that crazy about the designs on this plate. I wanted a My Little Pony plate, and so I grabbed this, but some of the images seem a bit distorted (looking at you, Diamond Tiara), and some of them don't really make any sense. Why is there a carriage? It's not an iconic My Little Pony theme. What's up with the mirror with the crown on top? Why is there a wand? Why all the little flowers? Why the grinning star? The butterflies I can see because they are supposed to be Fluttershy's cutie mark, but the sizes are weird here. Just overall, I don't feel like it's a super usable plate except for a few good images. 

Anyway, the last thing I did was more glitter placement around the Rarity image, because I felt like it was a little plain. This is where my un-used polish comes in: I used OPI "Comet in the Sky" for the black glitters at the top and bottom of that nail. This is a polish that's been on my untried list forever. I found it at the Dollar Tree (because if you've been following me for a while you may have noticed that I have never paid more than $4 for any polish excluding base/topcoats, ha ha). And actually, they still have a tub full of these at my Dollar Tree. They've been there FOREVER. But I don't use chunky glitters all that often. Now that I've discovered its usefulness for glitter placement, however, maybe I'll break it out again sometime. 


Be sure to check out some more Jewel-inspired manis this week in the link-up! I may or may not do another mani for this theme, because I have another idea for it but we shall see. :) 



5 comments: